Purevax Rabies is a veterinary vaccine used to protect cats from 12 weeks of age against rabies infection. It contains rabies recombinant canarypox virus (vCP65). PUREVAX feline vaccines help protect cats against a number of diseases, including rabies, feline leukemia virus (FeLV), panleukopenia, and pathogens that commonly cause respiratory disease in cats. The family of PUREVAX vaccines induce an effective immune response without the use of adjuvants that can present potential risks to cats.
PUREVAX® Feline Rabies contains a nonadjuvanted lyophilized suspension of a recombinant vectored rabies vaccine plus a sterile water diluent. A canarypox vector has been modified, using recombinant technology, to produce expression of desired antigens capable of stimulating a protective immune response to rabies. Safety and immunogenicity of this product have been demonstrated by vaccination and challenge tests in susceptible cats.
PUREVAX vaccinations are specifically formulated for cats and continue to have strong recommendations from university researchers knowledgeable on this subject. Because of the difficult nature of their production, these vaccines are more expensive than adjuvanted vaccines. We feel that these vaccines promote the best medicine and the safest protocol for our feline patients. Due to the higher cost associated with the safer vaccine, we will continue to carry adjuvanted 3 year feline Rabies vaccine for cats for those families that are concerned about cost and who are willing to accept the higher risk of the adjuvanted vaccine for their cat.
Features of Purevax Rabies For Cats
- The only complete line of nonadjuvanted feline vaccines now offers half-mL doses.
- It’s the same level of safety, purity, and proven protection that you trust from the leading line of feline vaccines.
- PUREVAX brand offers the first and only half-mL feline rabies vaccines (in both 1- and 3-year duration of immunity) and feline rabies combination vaccines with Feline 3 (RCP) and Feline 4 (RCCP).
- PUREVAX brand offers the first and only half-mL recombinant canarypox-vectored nonadjuvanted Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV) vaccine.
Benefits of Purevax Rabies For Cats
- PUREVAX vaccines deliver a robust, effective immune response without the need for adjuvants.
- PUREVAX Feline Rabies is the only nonadjuvanted feline rabies vaccine available as a standalone or in combination with other antigens.
- PUREVAX recombinant FeLV vaccine is the first and only nonadjuvanted FeLV vaccine utilizing canarypox-vectored vaccine technology
Mode of action
Purevax Rabies is a vaccine. Vaccines work by ‘teaching’ the immune system (the body’s natural defences) how to defend itself against diseases. The vaccine strain vCP65 in Purevax Rabies is a ‘carrier’ canarypox virus that has been given a gene that makes it able to produce part of a rabies virus called ‘glycoprotein G’. The canarypox viruses do not spread or multiply in the cats but they do produce the glycoprotein G of the rabies virus.
When a cat is given the vaccine, the immune system recognises the rabies glycoprotein G as ‘foreign’ and makes antibodies against it. In the future, the immune system will be able to produce antibodies more quickly when it is exposed to rabies, and this helps to protect against mortality due to rabies infection.
Store at 2-7°C (35-45°F). Use immediately after reconstitution. Do not use chemicals to sterilize syringes and needles. Burn this container and all unused contents. Contains gentamicin as a preservative. It is generally recommended to avoid vaccination of pregnant cats. In rare instances, administration of vaccines may cause lethargy, fever, and inflammatory or hypersensitivity types of reactions. Treatment may include antihistamines, anti-inflammatories, and/or epinephrine.
Prices of Purevax Rabies For Cats