Nystatin is an antifungal medication. It is used to treat certain fungus and yeast infections. It is considered the drug of choice for treatment of Candida infections. However, nystatin is not systemically absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract, and must come into direct contact with the organism to be effective. In the United States, nystatin is one of the few drugs approved by the FDA for use in egg laying hens
Nystatin is an antifungal medicine. It’s used to treat or prevent infections caused by a fungus (or yeast). These include:
- oral thrush
- skin infections
Nystatin kills the fungus and gets rid of the infection. It can also be used to stop you getting an infection. Nystatin is only available on prescription. It comes as a liquid (suspension) that you swirl around your mouth and then swallow. It also comes mixed with steroids, antiseptics or antibacterials as a cream or ointment.
Uses/benefits of Nystatin Oral Suspension For Chickens
Medistatin is Nystatin 400 000 i.u./g, and will treat and prevent candida disease in caged birds and pigeons, and in some cases can treat Stargazing/Twirling, and can be used on game birds and poultry. The active ingredient Nystatin is an anti fungal agent that attacks candida organism, This is also safe for dosing baby birds, and is also useful in treating hand reared chicks.
People usually take nystatin liquid for around 1 week to treat oral thrush.
It’s best to take it after a meal or some food. However, do not mix it with food or water or any other drink.
- Shake the bottle well.
- Take the lid off and measure out the right amount using an oral syringe, medicine spoon or dropper. Do not use a kitchen teaspoon as it will not give you the right amount.
- Put the medicine in your mouth.
- Keep it in your mouth for at least 30 seconds if possible, using it like a mouthwash before you swallow it.
- Do not eat or drink anything for 30 minutes after taking it. This stops you washing the medicine out of your mouth too soon.
It may be difficult to get your child to keep it in their mouth, but encourage them to do this if you can. Do not worry if they cannot. The medicine will still help even if they swallow it quickly.
Features of Nystatin Oral Suspension For Chickens
- You usually take nystatin liquid 4 times a day after meals and before bedtime.
- It’s important not to eat or drink for 30 minutes after taking the liquid.
- Nystatin usually starts to work after 2 days.
- It’s important to continue to take or use nystatin for 2 days after your condition is better. This will help to stop it coming back again.
- Creams and ointments containing nystatin are known by the brand names Trimovate, Timodine or Nystaform HC.
For Pigeons, and Caged Birds: Add 5gm. which 1gm measure spoon included, with 2.2lbs of seeds and give 5-7 days. For proper mixture, put some light oil into the grain and mix the medistain in so that the powder adheres to the seed.
For all other caged birds: Prevention: Mix 1g to 200g of soft food daily until symptoms are gone.
Treatment for crop dose: Mix 1g per 20ml of water, shake well and dose 1ml of mixture per 100g body weight twice daily
Prices of Nystatin Oral Suspension For Chickens
$18.95 – $38.99