Let me just start out by saying some rabbits will not fight you the way Oliver fights me when it comes to giving them medicine. It really does depend on the rabbit and their level of stubbornness . Administering the oral medicines (with a syringe feeder) has been a ride, let me tell you. Even though the medicines are sweet and Oliver (who has a major sweet tooth) has not minded taking them in the past, this time he would take about half of his antibiotic and then proceed to let it dribble out of his mouth! It was like force feeding a toddler.
To give him his medicine, I situate him between my legs with his head facing away from me; I press his body firmly between my legs. I lift up his upper body with my left hand and press the syringe feeder into the side of his mouth until he takes it. Sometimes this takes longer than it should if he refuses to open his mouth. Now, if there are two people doing this (oral meds and ear drops), I would recommend elevating your rabbit onto a table to make this easier, but because it’s just me, I don’t want to risk Oliver jumping off a table and hurting himself since I only have so many hands.
Features of Baytril For Rabbits Ear Infection
One of the most common reasons for torticollis in rabbits is infection of the middle- or inner ear. The vestibular system, largely responsible for the sense of balance, is located in the auditory bulla of the skull, a large, hollow space near the base of each ear. Infection in this area can cause inflammation and swelling of the soft tissues, and this can interfere with proper function of the vestibular apparatus. A very severe inner ear infection can actually cause the bulla to fill with hard, caseous (i.e., of a solid, cheeselike texture) pus.
- Ear infections can make your pup miserable. Baytril Otic can help. Baytril Otic is prescribed by veterinarians to ease the pain and discomfort due to bacterial and fungal infections of the ear.
- Baytril Otic combines enrofloxacin, a broad-spectrum antibiotic that fights bacteria, with silver sulfadiazine, which is effective against many types of fungal (yeast) infections to create one powerful, fast-acting treatment.
Why do cats and dogs use Baytril Otic?
- Veterinarians prescribe Baytril Otic for dogs and cats with ear infections, or “otitis externa.” This medication is particularly effective because it’s active against infections caused by bacteria and yeast.
Uses/benefits of Baytril For Rabbits Ear Infection
- The water-based emulsion does not contain steroids.
- A dropper top bottle makes it easy to administer the drops in your pet’s ear.
- Treats ear infections in dogs.
- Effective against fungal and bacterial infections.
- Non-steroidal treatment.
- Dropper top bottle for easy application.
- One active ingredient, enrofloxacin, is a broad-spectrum fluoroquinolone antibiotic effective against a range of infections.
- Enrofloxacin interferes with the DNA of bacteria and kills the organism.
- Baytril Otic also includes silver sulfadiazine, which is effective against many types of fungal or yeast infections
Prices of Baytril For Rabbits Ear Infection
$14.99 – $24.99